Tuesday, October 26, 2010

A Painted House by John Grisham #49

A Painted House by John Grisham is book #49 for the year.  Anyone who knows anything about books (or movies) should know who John Grisham is.  I have read a lot of his books and always enjoy them.  I knew this book would be interesting because it has nothing to do with lawyers or a courthouse.  I don't even think it says either of those words in the book at all.  I was curious to see if he could write about something that has nothing to do with lawyers.  Surprisingly, he can, he has a few other books that have nothing to do with the law.  I have only read one (Skipping Christmas) and I don't really remember what I thought of it.

I read a few reviews of A Painted House before I read the actual book and the reviews I read were very mixed.  The book is about a 7 year old boy who lives on a cotton farm in Arkansas and follows him over the summer as he experiences more than any 7 year old should ever experience.

It takes a little while to get into the real drama and conflict and all that, but I still loved it and couldn't put it down.  I liked the main boy in the story a lot.  He seemed to be way more mature than what you would expect from a 7 year old.  The only thing bad I can say about it is that I felt like it left me hanging a little bit.  I could have used one more chapter (or a even a sequel) but since it doesn't exist, I just had to make up the answers to the questions I have.

A Painted House gets 4 out of 5 stars.

Next up-The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson

No comments:

Post a Comment